The prize is offered in honour of the late Rodney Benjamin and his contribution to the broking industry. Benjamin was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia for services to the Jewish community and the insurance industry. He was a renowned insurance expert, having worked with Edward Lumley Group from 1948 to 1981.
An Honorary Life Member of both the Australian Insurance Institute (now ANZIIF), Rodney held many prestigious positions as:
• President, Insurance Institute of Victoria, 1973 and Councillor, Australian Insurance Institute 1973-1981
• Inaugural Chairman, Victorian Advisory Board, Insurance Council of Australia, 1975
• Inaugural Chairman, Society of Fellows Australian Insurance Institute, 1989
• Member Victorian Government Workers’ Compensation Advisory Committee, 1977-1981
• Chairman, Victorian Workers’ Compensation Insurers’ Committee, 1977-1981
• Chairman, Insurance Council Victorian Workers’ Compensation Rating Committee, 1977-1981
• Chairman, Insurance Council of Australia Workers’ Compensation Committee, 1978,
• Chief Examiner, Fellowship, Australian Insurance Institute.
After leaving the industry, Rodney attended university and gained a BA, MA and a PhD in economic history.
The David Letcher Insurance Law and Regulation Module Award for Brokers
This prize is awarded to the student who achieves the highest result for the Insurance Law and Regulation for Brokers module.
David was a member of the Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Law, the Law Council of Australia, the Australian Insurance Law Association and the Insurance Council of Australia’s Anti-Fraud Squad.
A referee for Insurance Brokers Disputes Limited, David was well known for his expertise in insurance law and litigation and his views on ethical issues such as fraud, the duty of utmost good faith and proper conduct of negotiation and litigation.
P C Wickens Life Insurance Regional Student of the Year Award (NSW)
Les Dobson was a former managing director of Benfield New Zealand Limited. The Les Dobson Reinsurance Prize was established to honour his contribution to the industry and to encourage future reinsurance leaders in their development.
A prize of NZ$1,000 is awarded to the module winner.
ICNZ Marine Insurance Prize
The ICNZ Marine Insurance Prize has been established to promote marine insurance studies in New Zealand and to encourage students to consider the marine insurance industry as a career choice.
The prize is awarded to an ANZIIF New Zealand student who has achieved the highest final score in the academic calendar year (either a distinction or high distinction) for course module GI507 (Marine Claims Management). The wining student will receive a prize of NZ$500. A prize of NZ$500 is also awarded to the student who has achieved the highest final score in the academic calendar year (either a distinction or high distinction) for course module GI508 (Marine Underwriting Management).
The ICNZ Marine Committee and ANZIIF are pleased to announce that the ICNZ Marine Insurance Prize award sponsors for the 2015 academic calendar year are Vero Marine and NZI Marine.