General Insurance Code of Practice 2023
This learning solution provides an overview of the General Insurance Code of Practice released by the Insurance Council of Australia in 2020 and explains your obligations under the Code. It also outlines the knowledge and skills needed to assist customers experiencing vulnerability, which is a key focus of the Code.
It is suitable for Employees of Code Subscribers, as well as their Distributors and Service Suppliers, including underwriting agencies and brokers with delegated authority.
The General Insurance Code Governance Committee published the 2020/21FY annual report in April 2022. The report says code subscribers reported 27.1% more breaches of the code compared to the previous year. Around 98% of all the significant breaches related to Section 7 (Claims), Section 4 (Buying insurance), Section 10 (Complaints), Section 6 (Service suppliers), and Section 5 (Employees and authorised reps). See the full report
What you'll learn
- Demonstrate the Code’s objectives and principles
- Describe the insurer’s obligations to the customer when the customer is buying insurance, lodging a claim or making a complaint
- Detail the standards of service for Code subscribers, Distributors and Service Suppliers
- Recognise the triggers to hardship
- Identify and support customers who are experiencing vulnerability
- Refer customers experiencing vulnerability to appropriate specialist support services
- Use a conversation flow structure and the principles of respectful communication to manage your conversations with empathy and confidence.
An optional module for team leaders helps them support staff who have been impacted by difficult situations and/or confronting customer interactions.
- General Insurance Code of Practice
- The long and the short of it
- What the Code means for the customer
- Caring for the customer
- What good service looks like
- The technical stuff
- Understanding Vulnerability and Financial Hardship
- Respectful communication
- (Optional) Leader guide for supporting conversations with staff
Assessment - 2 Tests
The ANZIIF Solution
In partnership with the ICA ANZIIF have developed three interactive and engaging learning solutions to ensure you can demonstrate excellence in customer care. All three training solutions include Vulnerability training and recognise current competence through a Fast Track option.
|General Insurance Code of Practice 2022
Demonstrate an understanding of the obligations and standards set by the Code. Suitable for insurers and their Distributors and Service Suppliers, including underwriting agencies and brokers with delegated authority.
|Click the 'Enrol Now' button on the right
|Service Suppliers: General Insurance Code of Practice Obligations 2022
|Demonstrate an understanding of a Service Supplier obligations nder the Code, e.g. Loss adjusters, Smash repaireers, Travel insurers.
|Claims Investigation Standards and the General Insurance Code of Practice 2022
|Demonstrate an understanding of the obligations set by the Code in relation to supporting vulnerable customers.
"Very impressed with the GICOP training. Really logical progression of the modules, quality content and really like the empathetic and considerate approach taken in the Vulnerable Customer and Financial Hardship sections."
Tim Plant | Chief Executive Officer, General Insurance Australia and New Zealand Zurich
"We at JB HiFi were looking for training material that would allow us to comply with industry requirements in regards to the General Insurance Code of Practice. ANZIIF developed an online module which we found easy to access. My team were able to complete this at their own pace. Feedback suggested the content is easy to understand and presented in a way that is easy to learn. I recommended ANZIIF’s training to a few Insurance Companies."
John Shipman | General Manager Insurance, JB Hi-Fi Business
For bulk enrolment assistance contact [email protected].
For those companies who have their own Code training and only require training on Vulnerability, contact [email protected] for options.