Use medical terminology in an insurance context
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to understand, use and respond to important information involving medical terminology in relation to insurance policies.
Who should take the course
It applies to individuals involved in the provision of services in the insurance sector where medical and health considerations are a core function of responsibility.
What you'll learn
By the end of this learning pathway, you should be able to:
- interpret insurance documentation containing medical terminology
- communicate using medical terminology
FNSISV417 Use medical terminology in an insurance context
Week 1: Products and legal and ethical requirements
- an overview of legal and ethical requirements
- products that use medical terminology.
Week 2: Body systems and medical terminology
- explain the practice of communicating medical terms in insurance with stakeholders
- outline common medical terminology and abbreviations
- discuss body systems and common conditions and illnesses which relate to each system.
Week 3: Medical terminology and underwriting
- gain an understanding of the underwriting process
- learn about the information that is gathered as part of the medical underwriting process
- learn about the terms of accepting a policy where medical conditions may already exist
- focus on some specific medical conditions and how they are underwritten as an example.
Week 4: Medical terminology and claims
- claims processing
- assessing claims
- preparing report requests
- communicating with medical professionals
- communicating in plain English.
1 Exam and 1 Simulation