This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to analyse data from a range of sources and to report findings of that data analysis.
This unit applies to individuals typically in roles required to analyse data, communicate trends and make recommendations.
What you'll learn
By the end of this learning pathway, you should be able to:
- Plan and prepare for data analysis
- Analyse datasets using industry-standard methodologies
- Verify data analysis, store results and report according to organisational policies and procedures.
BSBDAT501 Analyse data
Week 1: Preparing for data analysis
- the concepts of information, knowledge and reliable data
- some possible sources of financial information.
- how to obtain the information necessary to conduct a financial analysis of a large corporate retailer.
Week 2: Analysing datasets
- look deeper into Southward Holdings’ financials
- select and apply different analysis methods and underwriting principles to establish a company’s financial health
- categorising data for analysis
- learn about financial statements and different methods of financial analysis
- be introduced to some basic ratios to help you break down complex information.
Week 3: Finalising the data analysis process
- looking at the broader economic and social context that the data fits into
- conducting financial, statistical analysis to inform the or attempt to confirm the accuracy of the nature, patterns and trends in the data
- identifying and removing incorrect results
- measuring the financial stability of a company (in this case, Southward Holdings).
- understanding data reporting.
Week 4: Performing a portfolio review
- conducting a portfolio review
- claims and commission ratios
- preparing a financial analysis report on key outcomes.
1 Exam and 1 Simulation